Wednesday 9 May 2018

You Called It!


The results are in. A winner has been chosen and my next novel, until submission at least, has a title.

Thank you! I never envisaged I’d receive so many entries to my What Would You Call It? competition, nor that it would be so illuminating. Those little asides you sent explaining why you chose one title and not another? They were gold dust.

One title won by a fair few votes, one was 'Marmite', my original working title was more popular than I’d have thought it might be and none of the titles heralded no votes at all.

I suspect that, Her Place, which gained the fewest votes, was a little too vague, even obscure. Note to self: intriguing, perhaps; nebulous, no. I had a titter about my wild card: Meatballs. You certainly felt strongly for, or against, that one. I agree that it could be misleading, dangerously so, because no, this story isn’t a farce and I wouldn't want people thinking it was. Whilst there may be some farcical elements, laugh a minute it isn’t - I’m not that clever.

So, who won?

All the votes for the most popular title were put into a hat. Actually, strictly speaking, it isn’t a hat, it’s a laundry basket. It’s one of my household’s not infrequent, ‘internet fails’. We have a fair few of these. Next time I’ll post a pic of the ‘minute yellow trug’ and there’s also the doll’s house sized – it seemed such a bargain – bottle of Shiraz.  

So, the winner! My hubbie, to ensure absolute transparency, pulled out one name from the hat/laundry basket, and that name was: Liz Carr. Congratulations, Liz! If you could email me your contact details and choice of either Glass Houses or Tea and Chemo, I’ll get a signed copy to you forthwith. And please don’t forget to let me know to whom I should sign the book.

The winning title? This Remarkable of Days and I am absolutely thrilled with it. 

Although, as with many titles in my experience, it does have a question mark hanging over it: it’s knowingly grammatically incorrect. I would hope that people would assume this was deliberate (surely a mistake wouldn’t get all the way through to the title of a novel? But then, stranger things have happened...) and there is certainly a strong reason for this wording. However, some potential readers might be put off right there and then by the suspect grammar. Can I risk this? If not, I’d have to consider changing it to: This Most Remarkable of Days and whilst I’ve been spinning this around in my head, the more I think about it, the more I like the quirkiness of the winning title of this competition. For now, it stays and I’ll keep you posted on that. By the way, if you have a view on this dilemma, please do share!

Meanwhile, here’s to a version of This Remarkable of Days making it to a book shop near you some time before too very long and that, aided by a stellar cover, not only will you feel compelled to read the blurb and later the book, you’ll stick with it (almost) to the end, when you’ll see where I was coming from when I slipped Meatballs into the list 😊

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jackie, Great my choice won! Just a note, I voted for This Remarkable of Days rather than The Remarkable of Days. And 'This' sounds grammatically better. Have you changed it to 'The'?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rosie, as per our convo on Twitter, I think you know how mortified I am!!!! It is, and was always, 'This Remarkable of Days' but thank you sooooo much for pointing out the typo (I did it twice!) as I really was blind to it... corrected now! My only excuse is perhaps that I was thinking of the alternative as The Most Remarkable of Days, however, if I do feel I have to slip in the 'most', I think that, 'This Most Remarkable of Days' reads better, so there is a silver lining to my shoddy proof reading... thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What happened to my suggestion of “Space Station Sex Nurses”

    Surely that’s a winner too?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely use of alliteration, Stuart, but you got the wrong book, alas...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I love to hear your thoughts and always respond :)