Wednesday 31 March 2010

Dragon’s Den for Wannabe Authors

Last week I practically read my whole book out loud. Yep, (almost) all of the 95,000 words. It was illuminating. People always say you should read your work out loud and boy, does it show up those howlers. It felt a bit weird at first, sitting in my little study, in the empty house, feigning a cockney accent and moving quickly back to one from Northumberland. But after a while I was gesticulating with the best of them, get me a stage and I’d have cheerfully paced every inch of it, throwing my hands into the air in an alternating show of dismay and elation.

My reason for this? I needed to find the best 300-500 words to read out at the York Writers’ Festival during the weekend of 9 April. It took me to chapter twenty one to find a section which I felt had all the requirements: energy, dialogue and a hook to pull the audience into wanting more. A few more runs through on my stage and I was happy. I cut and pasted the extract, reworked my single paragraph synopsis, composed my two sentences to set the scene and emailed them all post-haste to the festival organisers.

Nervous? Terrified! If I get chosen to participate I will be given one of about fifteen, five minute slots on the first evening of the festival, to pitch my book to an audience of a few hundred fellow wannabe authors (happily drinking) interspersed with those magical beings: agents. They say it’s just a bit of fun. But who doesn’t harbour the smatterings of a dream that an agent pricks up his/ her ears and secretly scribbles down the name, away from other eyes because they don’t want you, this sure thing, to be stolen from them?

But human beings are funny creatures. I had mixed feelings about entering. I batted around the question for a few days. After all, this has the potential to give my book that bump up the ladder of writing that it sorely needs. Read badly, choose badly, and I could do myself more harm than good.

But as soon as I found out that I might not be chosen to read, I wanted to be on that stage more than anything. Isn’t the best way to find out whether you really want something, to take it away? It is in my case, if I don’t get chosen, I’ll always wonder. If I do get chosen and make an idiot of myself on stage, I’ll simply have to use a pseudonym, have a face transplant and emigrate to America.

11 comments:

  1. OMG can't wait to hear if you get to read, crossing my fingers ....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alas, I didn't get to read. But the ones who did were excellent and the whole process has taught me that I really must read out loud every word I ever write so there's going to be a lot of spouting in the study from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And at least you don't have to have a face transplant or move to America.(Hooray!) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. ps - love the new look blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Angela, good to see you here ;-) And yes, I guess no need for a face transplant and forced emigration are a plus point. Still wish I'd been able to read though... easy to say when you don't have to do it...!!!

    Glad you like the spots. I think I must be going through a green phase ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, there's something for you on my blog ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooh Kate, am going there right now...!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK Kate, is it the scrummy green???

    Love the potato piece, laughed out loud :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's over on my other blog - The Scribbling SeaSerpent :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh gosh, this is very intriguing :-) Right, I'm going there instead, now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bless you, my own award for blogging and from someone so vastly superior to me, I'm touched, really, thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I love to hear your thoughts and always respond :)