Wednesday 5 August 2015

Glass Houses and Tidy Wardrobes

I write with some good news.

Finally, after two long years of good intentions I have finally sorted out my wardrobe – and the drawers. I’ve had half-hearted stabs at it before but this time I did A Proper Job. Phew. I feel the space. Charity shops in Harrogate are rejoicing. EBay has applied for more bandwidth.

But it isn’t that.

I have also cleared out the cupboard in the kitchen, cunningly disguised as a bench, filled as it was with an interactive memorial to my children’s younger years: un-sticky stickers, half-filled sticker books, solid pots of glue, dehydrated finger paint, lumps of tissue paper, defunct pens, plastic boxes with compartments in varying sizes - long since emptied, save for the odd pencil sharpening - pompons, half-made pompons, cardboard clothes with little tabs but lacking the bodies on which to hang them. And shoe polish which reluctantly had to stay.

But it isn’t really that. Although I will admit to lifting the lid every second time I walk past to admire my handy work.

I still have the small matter of the hooks to sew back on the blinds and some rejected bootleg jeans from the wardrobe cull which I can’t bear to part with, sitting in a pile waiting to be ‘skinny-jeaned’. Of course, the moment I’ve threaded the sewing machine, life will revert back to bootlegs (at last – with me not being of the six foot, legs which make a toilet roll tube look baggy - variety). The perennial, Sorting Out The Wi-Fi, is, of course, also on the list. I will not, repeat, will not use my blog to moan about my Wi-Fi. Suffice it to say, Orange say it works, I say it doesn’t.

Can you tell school’s out for the summer?

I’ve managed my fifteen minutes of fiction every day, bar one – a long story – and it’s proving both fun and productive. There's one little ditty, inspired by the silent passenger next to me on the train, which has morphed into 5,000 words and I’m starting to think it might make it into a novel. Exciting as that is, that isn’t what I came here to write about.

Glass Houses has been short-listed in the Retreat West First Chapter Competition. You can read more about it here. Although I am chuffed to little pieces about it, it isn’t really that either. Although we’re getting close.

Remember Urbane Publications, wonderful publisher of Tea and Chemo, due out in November? I blogged about my excitement here. Well, I am absolutely thrilled to announce that Urbane have also signed my novel, Glass Houses for publication in May 2016. We’re currently working on the cover and blurb. (I have to look behind me when I say that to check that it isn’t someone else speaking.) The idea of somebody beavering away to produce the cover of my novel just blows my mind. I’m impressed by the professionalism and dynamism of Urbane Publications, and also their book list. I also like to work with happy, enthusiastic people and this is how my contract came back to me. You can see why I'm thrilled. This is very good news, indeed!

I’ll be busy. We’re working on the final edits of Tea and Chemo now and Glass Houses will be edited at the end of the year. In theory it’s ready for the red pen already. But of course, I’ll have to have another peek before I send it off. I know what that means: a challenge to lose another 5,000 words. Some people constantly diet, I’m always trying to lose words. I apologise in advance if I venture back into recluse-dom for a while as I add, take-away, insert, amend and delete, stopping only briefly to marvel at my pristine wardrobe and sparse cupboard-cum-bench, and shake my head despairingly at the, ‘it’s not slow, no, really, it is,’ speed of my Wi-Fi.


But I’ll see you all at the launch :)

18 comments:

  1. Can't wait to read both, maybe I'll get an early edition! Always knew it would happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might, Claire, how funny (weird) would that be. Might have to give you a glass of bubbles before you review...!?!

      Delete
  2. Wahoo, fabulous news, Jax! I'm so happy and excited for you. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Jax. It is excellent news! I am so happy for you. Well earned and deserved. Your heart shines through your words. Exciting times my friend. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tracey-anne, that made me smile, bless you. Delighted to be joining you on the list and looking forward to many more Urbane parties :)

      Delete
  4. Congrats on the novel acceptance :-)

    I must admit to happily wearing baggy/boot-leg/boyfriend jeans even when they aren't in fashion. Okay, I admit to wearing nothing that's remotely fashionable, ever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on the book publications. And the de-clutter (I'm doing the same.) Hope the good news keeps coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lindsay :) Best of luck with your de-clutter - what's under the chop in your house?

      Delete
  6. Congrats on Glass Houses, Jackie. I look forward to buying and reading.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is just the best news!! I'm grinning all over. Literally. It's been a long road, with many twists and blocks along the way - but that view of your book cover is going to be so worth the wait! Congratulations, Jacqui! Truly brilliant. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bless you, Lesley! I could have written exactly that about you. I'm so excited that we BOTH have fiction publishing deals next year, ironic as we do like to live parallel lives sometimes, don't we... let me know when you're next over here and we will have that glass of bubbly together :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The news we have all been waiting for! Very exciting, can't wait until I have my copy in my hand. Lyn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, Lyn :) It is sooo exciting. Definitely worth the wait. Watch this space because there'll be news of the cover soon...!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not kidding you if i had written about spring cleaning you would have been asleep by the second word but somehow you make me see your bench cupbaord as an excting story and i loved the bit about secretly admiring it as you walk past!
    And then there's the books - well i'll have the first copy or if not the second as long as i can buy it/them the minute theyr'e on the shop shelves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noah! I just found this comment, so sorry. Anyway, you'll be pleased to know that that the bench cupboard is still pretty orderly and I'm still admiring it from time to time :) Thanks so much for your lovely comment. So happy when someone enjoys a post!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I love to hear your thoughts and always respond :)