Sunday 3 February 2013

You just gotta love it when...


I’m particularly glad I survived my previous post’s date stone attack as I’m having a very good week.

So, I’ve been asked to teach two day courses in creative writing at the school of adult education where I take an evening class. I love teaching and secretly hoped the evening class would lead to something like this.

This week, I’ve really launched into ‘Scrivener’ which is a piece of writing software personally designed for me, it would appear, to get the piles of half print, half-scribbled paper often extending out of the study and into the hall, off the floor and on to my virtual carpet on screen. Seriously, if you are a writer who is doing any planning or re-structuring, this software is heaven-sent. I have my stubby little fingers stuffed into so many delicious pies at the moment that I’ve had to be strict and commit myself to only two hours’ work per day on the novel this month. Scrivener means that even in this limited time frame, Glass Houses is still moving on a-pace. http://www.literatureandlatte.com/scrivener.php 

Regular readers might be interested to know that my experiment into Larkism is firmly embedded in my daily routine now and my two hours of writing take place between 5 and 7am. It’s such a great feeling, often a relief, to have two hours of writing behind me before the rest of the family stirs.

And I had my biggest every month of page views of my blog in January – 1,800. Thank you!

I have one piece of vaguely bad news but even that is a good thing in disguise. I didn’t get the contract I wanted with the agent who was looking at my full manuscript. However, she was kind enough to send me detailed notes of suggestions on what I needed to do to make the story sing – it seems the plot and even the writing are on track but some of the characters are a bit of a tease – I hook the reader in and then leave them hanging. The agent phrased the problem in such a way that I had an instant light-bulb moment – hence the re-structuring which I’m really enjoying. It’s an exciting process because I know that whatever the fate of Glass Houses, this novel is certainly going to be a better read after the re-write.

And the other reason I’m particularly happy with life at my desk is because I’ve picked up a Versatile Blogger award from the multi-talented Karin Bachmann. Karin blogs about all things writing, being a tutor as well as a short story and novel writer, and I’m enjoying the behind the scenes posts she’s writing about her latest project,  Mord in Switzerland. This is an anthology of crime stories written with a handful of other writers with whom she appears to regularly meet for lunch. (Please can I have a job like that?) You can read Karin’s blog here: http://stories47277.blogspot.ch/2013/01/the-versatile-blogger-award.html

Now, you know what’s coming next. I have to write seven things about myself. As I had to dredge up old memories for the first time I was lucky enough to receive an award of this type and as I was really scraping the barrel for a similar award a little later, I thought I would do something slightly different this time. Because I’m feeling particularly upbeat at the moment, I thought I’d simply list seven things that I love. My disclaimer at this point, is that family and friends are a given, so I’m not going to wax lyrical about people you don’t know – wonderful as they all are.

In no particular order:

Running in the snow. There’s something so peaceful, almost ethereal, about being alone with the whiteness and the crunching under foot. I like to pull my hat down over my ears, feel the icy wind against my face and start to warm from inside out. I know it’s not for everyone but for me, this is when I feel most alive.

My first cup of tea of the day. Particularly if it’s brought to me by my lovely husband (ooops, broken my no family rule). The second cup isn’t bad either. By the eighth, I’m starting to get a bit of a fuzzy head.

Putting on my glasses. I know, this is such a dull one but not being able to read anymore without them has taken me quite by surprise and the instant transformation of the hieroglyphics on the page, washing label or side of a tin, to name but three, deserves my appreciation.

Cafes. With friends (there goes the rule again), chatting or with my hard-backed notebook, writing. Oh and hard-backed notebooks, I love those, too.

Learning Slovakian. I’d forgotten quite how much I enjoy learning languages – even though I sometimes curse the homework, even though I sometimes still throw my books across the room, even though I sometimes think I’ll never manage it.

Really cold dry white wine in a large glass. Or really warm, heavy red wine in a really large glass – and Lindt Lindor chocolates.

Singing. I’m not pretending to have any great ability but I belong to a small group and we have the most wonderfully talented and generous hearted teacher who brings out the best in us. When everyone’s singing and the harmonies are working, it’s simply, so uplifting.

Now it’s my turn to propose fifteen bloggers whom I think are particularly deserving of this award. I’ve chosen a couple of old favourites but also some recently discovered gems. Please do go along and see what they’re up to:


http://strictlywriting.blogspot.co.uk by a group of nine bloggers whose posts always make me smile.
http://www.janerusbridge.co.uk by Jane Rusbridge
OK, I’ve only listed nine but if you add in the nine at Strictlywriting, then I’m actually way over my quota ;)

These are the rules of the Versatile Blogger Award:
• Display the award certificate on your website
• Announce your win with a post and link to whoever presented your award
• Present 15 awards to deserving bloggers (Versatile Blogger)
• Drop them a comment to tip them off after you’ve linked them in the post
• Post 7 interesting things about yourself

I look forward to reading your posts!

28 comments:

  1. I can barely function at 7am, let alone 2 hours earlier! It's great news about the courses. Running in snow would have me a-slipping and a-sliding all over the place - I'm much better in non-icy conditions.

    I'm sure I could make lots more comments on this epic post, but I'll let someone else have a turn :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annalisa! Running, generally, is just great isn't it! I wanted to highlight some new blog finds this time, but you know I'm a big fan of your blog, I hope ...

      Delete
    2. Lol, after almost 3 years blogging, I'm not sure I could come up with a single new fact about myself!

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for the award! I'm thrilled - and now looking forward to taking part next week. I'm totally with you on the first cup of tea of the morning and also the wine/glasses and Lind'or! So nice to know a little more about you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent, Linda, I look forward to your post and learning a bit more about you, now :) Let's raise a cyber glass or two together, finished off with a couple of Lindors!

      Delete
  3. First cup of tea of the day ......Yep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... but not that horrible boiled water stuff you drink ;) Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  4. It's not every day I wake up to find I've been given an award. In fact, it's never happened before, so thank you so much! Now I will have to think of 7 things about myself. I like all your, particularly the wine one and the cafe one. Thanks again Jackie. Best Wishes Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pleasure, Jill and thoroughly deserved. Let us know when you've posted!

      Delete
  5. Hi Jackie - I'm so glad you survived the attack-of-the-killer-date to blog another day and bring us up to date (no pun intended) with your writing life! Congratulations on getting the two day teaching gig - I'm in awe as I wouldn't have a clue where to start - and on notching up your best viewed month to date! You're on a roll and I'm quite sure it won't be long before you bag both an agent and a publishing deal.
    Congrats also on your Versatile Blogger Award - it's always a joy to find out more little magical morsels about you! Slovakian, singing, running - you' put me to shame as I only speak 'Allo Allo' French, can't sing a note and can't run the length of myself. I'm 100% with you on the tea, specs, cafes and wine though! Definitely the wine - although I'd opt for a smooth red! And thank you SO much for choosing me as one of your own nominees. I can't guarantee that my responses will be as good as your own, but I shall do my best! x :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lesley, you're so funny, that made me laugh!I didn't actually say I was any good at any of those things - Jack of a few trades, master of even fewer, that's me :)
      Wouldn't that agent and publishing deal be nice...?
      I can't wait to read your post, your blog is ALWAYS a wonderful read.

      Delete
  6. Hi Jackie. Just to let you know I have completed my post. Thanks again. Cheers Jill

    ReplyDelete
  7. MMMMM....Scrivener :) I remember that conversation well! Anyhoo, glad you love it! Great post - morning writing works best for me too, it's like visiting your own world before hitting reality, isn't it? Chat soon, x N

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicole, I'd forgotten we discussed Scrivener at Swanwick! I decided not to start on it in the summer as the upheaval at that late stage in my manuscript didn't seem worth it at the time but, as you probably gathered, I'm soooo glad I've discovered it (well, you discovered it really) now! I didn't know you were a proper lark (rather than a pretend one) and yes, the world of make-believe is just the best way to start the day. Thanks for reading :)

      Delete
  8. Jackie, you've inspired a blog post and probably got me about to do something I'm going to regret....
    http://thejourneygirlblog.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/making-more-hours-in-day.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cate, I laughed so much at your post. That is just the best description of a night owl I've ever seen and yet it's oh, so true and instantly recognisable of my real 'owl' self as opposed to my pretend Larkism behaviour. It's a much better version of my original post on Larkism and I urge anyone wondering about the delights of the early hours, or who just fancies a giggle, to go over there now!
      Seriously, that was me and I DID change. You can too! Keep us posted.

      Delete
  9. Thank you so much.

    And congrats on your wonderful week!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure and I look forward to reading your post. Let me know when it's up :)

      Delete
  10. Thank you so much for the award and sorry I've been so late in responding. I had the perfect storm of converging deadlines in my freelance life but am now over it!

    I keep looking at Scrivener for Dummies in the bookshop. I'm waiting for the iPad version. I don't have a Mac. Do you use it on Windows?

    Congratulations on the creative writing gig. That is great news! And for the feedback on Glass Houses. To get a detailed page of notes like that shows they must really think it has real potential. Great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your encouragement, Alison! I do use Scrivener on Windows. An iPad version would be wonderful as the only draw back currently is if you want to work on it away from the pc - although I'm sure it will let you print out separate pages - I haven't got to that stage yet. Feel free to trouble shoot if you do decide to go with it. That said, it comes with a seemingly enormous tutorial which is well-written and the steps are easy to follow but I was too impatient to get started and so I decided to go it alone and actually, it was completely intuitive so I don't feel you really need the tutorial at all.
      Look forward to your post :)

      Delete
  11. Oh, that was fun. Not sure running in the snow is, because I can barely walk in the stuff, but hey, your pic makes it understandable:)Good luck with your teaching. It's always great to share what you know with others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MJ! I think the trick to running on snow is to take it very, very slowly..!!!

      Delete
  12. Congratulations on the award, and those are very nice pictures. I can't imagine how is it like to run in the snow. I've run in the beach and it rocks. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I love running on the beach, too - although over here, it tends to be more an exercise in remaining upright in gale-force winds than the idyllic exploit of tiptoeing over golden sands to which I think you're referring...?
      Thanks for reading and commenting :)

      Delete
  13. Thanks again for the award! I have finally got around to putting up the post: http://excusemewhileinotethatdown.blogspot.co.uk
    Linda x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent! I'm going over there right now. Sorry for the delay, I've just got back from my hols.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I love to hear your thoughts and always respond :)